The Land Title Building Renovation — Fort Worth, Texas
The Land Title Building, originally designed by Marshall R. Sanguinet (1859-1936) of the firm Haggart and Sanguinet and constructed in 1889, exemplifies the Victorian architecture that was popular at the time. Its deep red multi-tonal bricks form fine-pressed walls, creating drama and contrast with the sandstone trim and round arching windows.
Over the years, a number of tenants have occupied the building, including real estate and title companies, a jazz club and The Flying Saucer, a popular pub that recently relocated to a nearby Sundance Square venue.
The building was renovated in 2013 as part of the larger Sundance Square project on its block. All previous alterations were removed and the remaining historic content was preserved. The most notable piece was a fireplace on the second floor. Additional preserved pieces include a stained glass ceiling fan over the entry, the original staircase and stained glass windows.
As part of the restoration of this building, its historic status was elevated to a municipal Historic and Cultural Landmark, ensuring its relevance and future in its contemporary context.